What do you do when the important final deliverable or final assignment that you’ve been working on for weeks is accidentally emptied from the recycle bin? You will…
- scream for help!
- jump down the building!
- break down and cry!
- have a kit-kat!
Whatever response you may have, the most important is to stay calm and be cool. It’s not the end of the world…….. YET!
There are a few things you need to do right away which is:
1. Don’t keep on using the machine. Why? Because the more activity there is on the hard disk, the higher chances that the file you have deleted might be overwritten. So, just limit the usage of your machine until you have a solution.
2. Free up some space on your machine. Why? Because the more free space you have, the less chance for the deleted file to be overwritten. A simple and fast approach to this would be to cut the mp3 files you have from the hard disk into a thumb drive or Ipod. I know you have gigs of mp3 files.
3. Install a software designed to recover files. If you haven’t previously installed any software to help you recover data, then you need to make sure that you now install it on a separate partition from the one where the file was deleted. Meaning, if the file you accidentally deleted resides on drive C, try to install it on drive D instead. It’s only possible if you have two partitions or more. This is so you do not run the risk of the software overwriting your file.
The recommended software called Handy Recovery will help you to restore files accidentally deleted from hard disks and other removable storages. The following are some key features:
- FAT12/16/32, NTFS and NTFS 5 + EFS file systems support
- In-depth disk scanning for certain file types
- Option to create disk images for deferred recovery
- Shows probability of successful recovery for each file
- Recovers files from deleted and formatted partitions
- File filtering by name, mask, date and size
Whether you’re reading this post in a state of panic because of the deleted file or you just stumble on this post, check out Handy Recovery and download their free 30 days trial today. You’ll never know when you need to recover some important files.