It’s early year 2009 and I noticed several search terms related to Leave Management System. Some of the search terms include:
- Free leave application php
- Open source web leave tracking system
- Download source code for online leave management
Obviously, people are looking for ways to manage leaves and absences in a more organized manner.
There are many advantages of utilizing a web-based leave tracking system:
- Eliminates paper-based leave application forms
- Leave applications can be submitted online
- Leave applications can be approved online
- Both the leave applicant as well as the approver can view the remaining leave days as well as historical leave applications
So if your organization is still managing staff’s leaves using hardcopy papers, it’s time to implement a web based leave management system.
Most HR Management systems (HRMS) out there have this particular feature built in. Enterprise HRMS such as Peoplesoft, SAP HR and Oracle HRMS has leave management capability which can be customized to suite your organizations leave management processes. For those who can’t afford to implement this enterprise software, your organization can consider implementing open source solutions.
An open source leave management system which is php based is OrangeHRM.
OrangeHRM is simple and easy to use for the administrators, applicants and approvers.
Employees can easily:
- Apply for leaves online whereupon submission, the supervisor will be notified via email that there is a leave to approve
- View the number of remaining leave days
- View historical leave taken
HR administrators can easily:
- Define day offs
- Define holidays
- Assign available leave days for each employee
- View a list of employees going on leave within a specified time period
- Define leave types such as annual leave, unpaid leave, compassionate leave, etc
To have OrangeHRM up and running, there are two options. Option one would be to get a technical person who is familiar with the LAMP environment to download OrangeHRM and help set up / configure OrangeHRM.
If your organization doesn’t have a technical staff, you can subscribe to OrangeHRM’s On-Demand where there is nothing to install and maintain. Just pay a minimal fee depending on the number of users you have and you’re good to go.
For more details on OrangeHRM, check out their website.
So far the only free an open source leave management system that I found is OrangeHRM. If anyone knows of another one with similar capabilities. please do highlight in the comment box below. Paid versions of leave systems are also welcomed, but do make sure it’s good and affordable. With the economic downturn, we all need to be careful with our IT / HR spending.