Today I got a USB 4GB flash disk from a colleague requesting for my help to delete some files in it.
Unfortunately, the files couldn’t be deleted because the thumb drive is write protected.
With permission from my colleague, I was allowed to format the thumb drive just to recover the disk space and to make it usable again. However, the format process failed with the error stating that the disk is write-protected.
And so I began trying to remove the write protection problem by trying the following methods:
- Edited the registry
- Using diskpart to remove the read-only
- Formatting using Windows or Linux machine
- Removed read-only permissions from drive properties
- Third-party tools like HP USB Disk format tool
- Setting advanced sharing to have permissions with full control
Basically all the above methods failed to work and took a total of 4 hours to troubleshoot.
In the end, this write-protected USB solution worked for me and I hope it will solve your problem too.
But be warned, this method will * delete and format the content of your USB *, so ensure to copy your files to somewhere safe before trying this. This is assuming you can even see and access your files.
- Step 1: Find your USB’s VID and PID using Chip Genius v4. Once downloaded, unzip and run ChipGenius_v4_19_0319.exe
- Step 2: Go to Flashboot to search for your USB’s VID and PID.
Based on the result, you can verify what’s your usb’s memory chip. For the screenshot above, it’s the following SC908SN/AU6989SN [E512] -F/W D82B.
See if there are any available utils. If not, proceed to the next step.
- Step 3: With the Chip details, Google [Chip Number] + Tool, so for e.g. AU6989 Tool
Click on the link which contains your chip details with Flash Drive Repair.
- Step 4: On the page, there will be instructions on how to install and fix your USB. Be warned that there are way too many ads on this page which might confuse you on which link to click on.The correct download link looks like this.
- Step 5: Once downloaded, you can proceed to launch the tool which should detect your thumb drive.
Assuming you have downloaded the correct tool to flash your corrupted usb disk, this method should fix and render your disk usable again.
Once my disk was detected, I clicked on Start for the tool to begin fixing and formatting my thumb drive.
When completed, my USB disk works normally again.
I hope this helps anyone encountering the same problem.
I would like to thank you for your advice and now i can use my Sandisk ULtra 32gb.
Your solution is the best and working fine for my case.
Thanks for leaving a feedback and I’m happy to know that this solution works for you.
great solution – fixed my problem – Thanks!
THANKS first of all.i really want to thank u to show a good way.now my 32gb pendrive works greatly.thanks a lot .u saved my 32gb pendrive.
Thanks i got 32 gb pen drive back thanks a lot .Good help and work
Thanks Bob for this solution. Right now I am using my office laptop with no admin rights thus I will not able to install any new software. So cleaning my pendrive is still an open task for me :(. However before I try it as soon as i get a machine with full access, I wanted to check with you in case if you are aware why and how this problem “Disk is write-protected” happened in first place ??!
THANK YOU BOB!!!!
Been on the same road as you, tried regedit and cmd methods, but you hit gold! thank you for posting
Perfect solution. Thank you.
I am getting 342 options in flashboot please tell me what to do next
Thanks so much I fixed one 8 gb drive works like new.
I have many other disks to fix.
thhhhanks a lot with all world languages
this is first time in my life leave a comment
you are the life & time saver
Thanks Bob, the only way i got it to work, even in 2020
Thanks for confirming that this method still works even in 2020. 🙂
I had lost all hopes as i tried all methods and had given up and was about to throw the pen drive and thought will try this last option – USB’s VID and PID.
It worked. Thanks a lot.
my USB Device is (sanDisk) with VID = 0781 PID = 5567
how can i know my usb’s memory chip, it do not appear in chipGenius
plz help me.