Recently I read some news about a home and bedding furnishing retailer being fined for possessing pirated software.
Possessing and utilizing pirated software may be easy and cost-free, but in the long run, if an organization is caught using unlicensed or cracked software, the disadvantages include:
- Damaging the brand and reputation
- Having to pay heavy fines and penalty
- No software support and updates, more prone to security loopholes
For an organization that is just starting out with their businesses, it is highly advisable that they go for genuine software to ensure their business isn’t disrupted by any software-related problems.
If cost is an issue, do consider open source alternatives. Most open-source software can be downloaded and utilized for free. A great site to check out open source software is SourceForge.net
But if some of your users feel it’s vital to own a particular software, try talking to the software vendors for discounts or partial payments for the software as your business grows. Some even have special programs to help out start-ups such as the Microsoft BizSpark program.
Now, if your organization is already profitable and making money, it’s really important to ensure that your business stays clean and legal in terms of all software and hardware assets.
It can be unfortunate if one bad employee breaks the rule by installing some pirated software within the office environment which causes the company to get in trouble for it.
So the big question is, how can we easily find out what hardware and software have been installed and placed within the organization’s network?
Today’s post will be about a free tool called ManageEngine AssetExplorer for your network administrators to scan all assets such as the hardware and software available within the office domain and network.
Do note that the free version of ManageEngine AssetExplorer allows you to manage up to 25 nodes. To try out with more nodes, simply download the trial version instead.
After downloading and trying out AssetExplorer, what I can say is that this free software is complete and comprehensive enough for all your asset management needs.
Some key observations include:
- The free version provides full features without any limitations.
- Great user interface. Navigating the web app is straightforward.
- Good help files during administration – with settings at the top and a help card at the bottom to assist.
- Most settings can be customized. There are even email templates such as the contract expiry notification template.
AssetExplorer’s key features include:
- Schedule scans to run whenever convenient.
- Scan for assets via the domain or simply specify a network range.
- Contracts can be linked to assets and alerted on their contract renewal dates.
- Software asset management allows you to track software license compliance, and track its usage.
- Configuration wizard provides a step-by-step guide to help server administrators to begin asset assessment quickly.
- Purchase order management has a purchase order flow which helps to ensure the right purchasing process is being practiced. The best part of this is the purchasing incorporates an approval workflow whereby a supervisor can be assigned to approve a particular purchase before a PO can be released.
Choose AssetExplorer Server Type
AssetExplorer Dashboard once logged in
AssetExplorer Purchase Order Flow
Step by Step, click Next type Configuration Wizard
Here you go, a free tool for you to scan your office network for its hardware and software assets. Head on over to ManageEngine AssetExplorer website and begin tracking all your assets today!
Leave a Comment